What is the best way to experience Copenhagen? It probably depends on the weather, and if you are lucky enough to have plenty of time in the beautiful city, then there is plenty to do outside, inside, on water, on the ground, and up high in the sky. If the weather is nice, we highly recommend experiencing Copenhagen on water by taking a tour through its many canals. As a historic seaport, Copenhagen is in abundance when it comes to canals, which will lead you to some of the capital’s most exciting attractions and many of its beautiful streets.
Attractions on the route
There are plenty of routes to choose between, but most of the routes take you past attractions such as the Little Mermaid, Christiansborg Castle, the Opera House, the Citadel, and the old stock exchange. Many of the trips begin in the popular New Harbor (Nyhavn) and sails through the idyllic canals, past beautiful buildings and historic attractions. The tours have real guides that speak several languages.
Alternatives to the tour
A tour of the canals begin several times a day, but there are also other, more customized ways of experiences the canals of Copenhagen. Here are some of our suggestions to a nice trip around Copenhagen’s canals:
- The social alternative: Rent a small boat with room for six people and a small table in the middle. The boats run on solar energy and can only sail between 5-6 km/h, but why sail faster? This is beneficial since there is hardly any noise from boats in Copenhagen, and you get to enjoy the incredibly beautiful canals. To make the most out of the trip, we recommend packing a small lunch and bringing a bottle of wine.
- The romantic alternative: Franco’s gondola used to sail around Venice, but this opportunity should also be available in wonderful Copenhagen. The tours in the gondola are available for two people and must be reserved well ahead of time during the summer period. Franco will of course have many suggestions to routes in Copenhagen, but you are more than welcome to decide on a route together with him.
- The active alternative: Rent a guided kayak tour to experience Copenhagen in a completely different way. The guides do as much as possible to make your experience unique and personal while you are in complete control of the route.
Read more about the alternatives on visitcopenhagen.dk.
While many of the traditional canal tours begin at Nyhavn or Gammel Strand, the alternative tours begin in various places. Time tables and prices vary, so make sure to read up on the tours on visitcopenhagen.dk.
Zleep Hotel Copenhagen City is located on Vesterbro. A lovely stroll through the city center of Copenhagen takes you from the hotel to Nyhavn. The hotel is a great base for anyone traveling to the city, wanting to experience as much of Copenhagen has possible. Here, you get a nice stay at attractive rates, and of course you will be living in the very heart of the city.
Hotel in Copenhagen
Stay at Zleep Hotel Copenhagen City if you want to live at a hotel in central Copenhagen. This ensures that you are staying near many of the city’s attractions and have easy connections to the rest of the city with public transportation. Welcome to an affordable hotel in Copenhagen.
More in Copenhagen
- January 23rd, 2018
- One evening/night a year, you are given access to unique attractions and cultura...
- October 2nd, 2017
- June 19th, 2017
- January 23rd, 2018
- Book a weekend getaway for 2 people for just DKK 499 in low season and DKK 799 i...From 499 DKKRead more